10 August 2012

Beekeeper's Quilt: 10 Hexipuffs.

I finally caved.

For those of you who are perhaps unfamiliar or out-of-touch with the online knitting community, I'd like to momentarily direct your attention here: The Beekeeper's Quilt by Tiny Owl Knits.  The idea is to knit hexagonal-shaped plushie motifs ("hexipuffs"), stitch them together and form a quilt.  I think it's swell. In order to avoid being such an impulse buyer, I let the idea of this project sit on the shelf for a few months, and when I came back to it I was still just as enamored and had to buy the pattern.


Hexipuffs are addictive.  I'm not sure if that's a warning or a testimonial, but whatever the case I'm already up to 10.


An interesting component of the hexipuff quilt is the suggestion to use your scrap sock yarn.  I've never actually knitted any socks before nor have I saved up any sock yarn.  So, clearly this does not apply to me and therefore won't be saving nearly as much money as I theoretically could have been if I were a sock-knitter.  
But I, being the silly person that I am, immediately ran out to buy armfuls of yarn with a sick, sick grin on my face....

 



 I'm even tracking hexipuffs that I make with an Excel spreadsheet.  I'm also watching Khan Academy videos while I knit.  Kind of amazing.

There is one real hindrance to the whole Beekeper's Quilt, and that is the shear number of puffs that must be knitted for a decently-sized blanket.  It's close to 400....And if we give a time estimate of around 40 minutes per hexipuff, then it would take at least 11 days straight to make all of these.  So, while every time you finish one you feel a genuine sense of accomplishment, it's entirely a delusion.  When you start thinking about knitting hexipuffs in the sense of proportions, you realize you are only adding  a fourth of one percent (0.25%) completion to the entire quilt with every hexipuff. Then it makes you feel kind of small.  And since this post is taking on a weird, metaphysical feel to it, I'm going to move on.


My fiancĂ© has even been helping me knit a few rows occasionally, which I love.  
I also bought 4 sets of size 3 needles so that other people can hexipuff with me (did you catch that hexipuff is both a noun and a verb?).




Have I yet convinced you to start knitting these magical hexipuffs?  Or at least to start knitting?  
I sure hope so.



1 comment:

  1. The fact that it's called a beekeeper's quilt is fitting, considering the fact that each hexipuff is such a small contribution to the overall product. This is similar to honeybees, since each honeybee produces about a twelfth of a teaspoon of honey over it's entire lifetime. Small contribution, yes, but delicious.

    ReplyDelete